Pages

Thursday, August 03, 2006

The Sunday feast of Communion, a personal and religious testimony...

Sunday Church is a feast with Communion, and here I mean not only the taking of Communion but the entire service. There is hospitality to this kind of celebration, and I find I cannot go on with my notes without adding that there is an immense pleasure in taking the bread and the wine. Perhaps you have noticed and enjoyed a similar experience.

My poem from 2001 is a personal statement on my experience of Communion and the Sunday Celebration, called a feast. I like being fed at the Lord's table, and while telling you, reader, of my own religious experience through this poem I hope to strike some common note. I have been told that the poem represents the religious sensibility.

The Hospitality of Communion
by Peter Menkin


In the poverty that lies
of my sorrow,I asked with the bended
knee of my heart
for gifts as Solomon
did when he asked of You
wisdom.

Wisdom day, I want to know
this rhythm living
with You.
Some wonderfully enter
into spectacular celebration
on Sundays that is a feast,
and I am waiting
to know some of this incredible
Word:

let my prayer rise like
a sweet savor,
incense that is happiness.

Discovery, you are the Vine,
and there is such celebration!
I called out in the Church,
Reveal Yourself, O my God!

I am needy and seek You.
In the quiet part of day,
towards sunset,hear me.
My sorrow brings
me a lowly heart. May

I know this lowly heart
in your poverty.
I have met You
in others.

They invite me
with an ache. Heart.
Mine. Give me
hospitality.
Accept me.


codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,0,0"
id="xspf_player" align="middle" height="170" width="400">




type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
bgcolor="#e6e6e6" name="xspf_player" allowscriptaccess="sameDomain"
pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"
align="middle" height="170" width="400"/>



No comments: