Pages

Friday, June 22, 2007


The first of the Ten Commandments


A few years ago I began work on the Ten Commandments, which I have paid attention to as a series of Ten poems from time to time. One book I read on the subject of the Ten Commandments noted that the first set of ten brought down from the mountain were shattered and lost, gone in a way but also still available as spirit in the world. For some people, that may be too mystical, and I agree it is an unusual idea. But this first of the Ten Commandments, about which I write as a poem, is the actual First Commandment brought to the people of Israel. There is mystery about these Ten Commandments, for clear as they may be they are the subject of wonderful discussions.



In Thunder and stone
By Peter Menkin


To be set free by stones:

Have no other Gods

but me.


Could the thunder

on Mount Sinai have

said something when

Moses came down?


I am your friend,

you are my people.


Did trumpets sound?

Light was there around Moses.

Let me say the words,

Friend of God.

Living words.









codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,0,0"
id="xspf_player" align="middle" height="170" width="400">




type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
bgcolor="#e6e6e6" name="xspf_player" allowscriptaccess="sameDomain"
pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"
align="middle" height="170" width="400"/>




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A study of Sun Rays (Crespuscular)

Running to find the end of the rainbow.

Running to find that shaft glory--to be bathed in light.

Bearing the soul to the divine.

Seeking rest, surcease and cleansing all at once.

Faith like a waterfall--full, abundant and never ceasing.