Pages

Wednesday, February 25, 2009


Round Is Not A Pregnant Shape, A Poem By Peter Menkin

For about 8 years I worked off and on at the department store Sears on a part time basis.It was mainly on. A few poems about observations while on duty as a sales clerk were written. Herewith, a poem from 2002 on what I saw at Sears. There were only a few of these poems, originally posted on the Atlantic Monthly Writer’s Workshop (now defunct). I am sorry I did not write more of them, as 7 years later I like this one and another.

One can’t call two or three poems a series, and because I keep poems I’ve written on my computer, I will search to see if there are more. Some people think it unfair to be revising or looking at poems 7 or 8 years old. One poet remarked to me that this wasn’t so unusual, to keep an image or a sense of a poem in ones mind for years.

My way is to return to work written sometimes as long ago as 8 years or even nine, and revise. I find at times that I begin to like the poem, where before I did not like it so much or found it lacking. I do hope you like this one as it is an amusement. So as I say, herewith the poem:

Round is Not a Pregnant Shape

by Peter Menkin


Three pregnant women
last night at the store.
Each carried her self,
proving round is not
a pregnant shape.

I watch the pregnant women
as they shop, and walk,
move about with children
or alone.

This is part of my
store duties, I tell myself:
Pregnant woman watching.

There are ovals, and mountains,
abundance, and full.
There are heavier, and moving,
ripe and blooming. Some are a little bit more.

Amid this there is something
new, alive, awakening to two
and wonderment moving towards
birth.



Photo by Henry Worthy, Camaldoli, Benedictine Oblate, London. "Contemplating His Creation."

No comments: